TThe School of Biological Sciences aims at providing fundamental yet quality education in Biological Sciences. The School of Biological Sciences offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes in Biological Sciences under the choice based credit system (CBCS), with autonomous curriculam and syllabi. These programs train the students to make them fit to join R&D laboratories, Academic streams, Industries etc.
Unique placement and research oriented curriculum is designed and approved by the experts from Bharathiar University, other renowned institutions and Biological Sciences industries. The team has committed staff members who have expertise in various fields of Biological Sciences. The department has also received major and minor research grants from University Grants Commission (UGC), Govt of India.
The school offers three-year undergraduate (B.Sc.) programme, as well as the 2 years postgraduate (M.Sc.) programme, under the credit-based choice system, with Autonomous curricula and syllabi. Unique placement and research oriented curriculum designed with the newly introduced Objective based education scheme and approved by the experts from Bharathiar University, other renowned institutions and industries.
Teaching learning process:
- Taught program consists of Lecture, advanced seminars, directed assignments, participation in science exhibitions,
Medical/Clinical laboratory training, expertise training in Biochemical Techniques and audiovisual media assisted instruction.
- Extra coaching for weaker students and Tamil / Malayalam medium students.
- ‘Bionexus’ – Association of Biological Sciences organizes Guest Lectures, Seminars and Workshops in major areas of Biological Sciences
- One-Day Personality Development Program is being organized for I UG & I PG students to address their overall personality development.
- Experts from Various research Institutes and Industries provide Hands on Experience to the PG students of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics by Workshops.
- I year UG & PG students are exposed to various Bioindustries by Industrial Visits.
- Our students actively participating in various inter collegiate Biological Sciences Competitions conducted by other colleges and Universities.
- Bionexus conducts science exhibition on National Science day.
Eco Club plays an important role in creating environmental consciousness among the younger generation. It is established by the School of Biological Sciences for undertaking various Eco-friendly activities.
- To encourage students to keep their environment clean and green.
- To promote awareness on conservation of water by minimal usage and indulging in harvest of rainwater.
- To inculcate in students the habit of minimum waste generation and its proper disposal.
- To organize tree plantation and awareness programmes on various environmental issues and educate children about reuse/recycle of waste material.
The Biological Sciences students initiated an Eco club to create awareness on the impact of environmental pollution, cleanliness and spreading of disease. Students were oriented to make the environment green by planting more trees and harvesting rainwater. Under the banner of ECO club, a logo designing competition was conducted on 21.8.2017. Ms. P. Revathy of II-M.Sc., Microbiology won the first prize in the same.
Chicken eggs are a great source of antibodies. They are cheaper and produce higher titers of antibodies with minimal cross-reaction in a short span of time. They have shelf-life of 5 years or more at 4˚C. Moreover it is animal-friendly – a humane way to produce antibodies. To facilitate the production of polyclonal antibodies, we have a small animal house for the maintenance of White leghorn chicken.
Extra Curricular Activities
- Our School students are actively participating in various Cultural events, Sports and Quiz Competitions conducted at Intra and Inter collegiate Levels.
- A workshop was conducted on Advance techniques in Biotechnology, on 31.3.2015.
RESEARCH, CONSULTANCY & EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
- The School of Biological Sciences has received major and minor research grants from University Grants Commission (UGC), Govt of India.
- Research collaboration with Prof. Dr. Doog Hoon Shin, Professor, School of Biotechnology, Korean Institute of Technology, South Korea.
- Research collaboration with Dr. Murugan, Asst. Professor, School of Biotechnology, Karunya University,Coimbatore.
- Research collaboration with Dr. Geetha Ramani, Associate Professor.Dept of Microbiology, Dr NGP Arts and Science College, Coimbatore 48
- Research collaboration with Dr. Sampa Sen, Associate Professor, School of Biotechnology, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore.
- Research collaboration with Dr. T. K. Shabeer, Associate Professor, Dept of Chemistry, New College, Chennai.
CENTRE FOR ADVANCED BIOINSTRUMENTATION AND BIOANALYSIS (CABB)
CABB: Centre for Advanced bioresearch and Bioanalysis was inaugurated by Dr. Devaraj, Chairman, UGC on 8.3.15. It was initiated with a moto as:
- To promote research and bioinstrumentation skills among the students of the School of Biological Sciences.
- To help research scholars and students from other colleges and universities to pursue their project work and be acquainted with advanced and latest bioinstrumentation facility available at our College.
- To promote admission to the School of Biological Sciences by publicizing the state of the art lab facility, infrastructure, green and eco friendly campus of our college.
- To generate fund from utilization of instrumentation facility at the school of Biological sciences.
Students of the department regularly organize Blood grouping camps, blood donation camps, pulse polio programs, Health awareness programs for the nearby village people.
- MOU with M/s Senthil Papain and food products Ltd, Coimbatore.
- MOU with M/s Nara Intech (P) Ltd, Chennai.
- MOU with M/s Sri Ayyappa Ghee, Coimbatore
- MOU with Pearl Restaurant, Coimbatore
- Proposed MOU with M/s Ramsen Biocare (P) Ltd, Palladam.
- Proposed MoU with Suguna foods Ltd,Coimbatore
VALUE ADDED PROGRAMMES
- Certificate program in HACCP offered by NIST, Chennai.
- UGC-CSIR, NET coaching.
- Certificate Course in Clinical Lab Technology.
- Diploma in Clinical Laboratory Technology.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Lab Technology.
- First aid certificate program by St. Johns Ambulance.
- Modular Curriculum included with Clinical Laboratory Technology.
- Placement based crash course on Bioprocess Technology.
- EDC courses:
- Human Nutrition.
- Mushroom cultivation.
- Organic Farming
Students from the School have been placed in the following companies:
- Accenture, Bangalore
- Azhooba, Chennai,
- Biocon, Bangalore
- Biomed Solutions, Salem.
- Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kerala
- Cipla Pharmaceuticals, Bangalore.
- Cognizant Technologies, Bangalore.
- DELL, Chennai.
- Icon, Bangalore.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Spices Research, Kerala
- Indian Immunological Limited, Ooty
- Infosys, Bangalore
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Bangalore.
- PPTS, Coimbatore
- TCS, Chennai
- VWR International, Coimbatore
- Wipro Technologies, Chennai
- Zifo Technologies, Chennai.
- TNQ books, Coimbatore.
- NIO, Goa